[ArborMesh] Hackathon Friday 7:30 @AHA

Ryan Hughes ryan at iheartryan.com
Tue Aug 2 12:43:20 PDT 2011

Hi.  So, I will be down at the AHA shop hacking on wireless mesh
networking things this Friday.  Hopefully, y'all can join me there, though
I'm only available ~7:30-10pm, which is not the sort of marathon I'm used
to.

Here's some things I was thinking about doing:

1. Our nodewatcher.arbormesh.net still doesn't let you create a node.  Why
    is that?  When you click to add a node, it makes you choose an IP
    address, and there aren't any in the dropdown list, even though I
    inserted a row in the database, as per the instructions on

2. Nodewatcher doesn't let you create new accounts.  I created one admin
    account on the django command line and I can't change its preferences
    or password.  It seems that the user registration system of nodewatcher
    2.x branch is tied in with trac, because that was how the Slovenians
    were using it.
    The goal of nodewatcher 3.x is to end this kind of dependency and make
    it easier for people to deploy their own nodewatchers for their own
    institutions.  Somehow, the Torono-ans are using nodewatcher.  I'd like
    to figure out what they're doing.

3. I've got git soldered directly into my brain, but nodewatcher is in
    mercurial.  There's some translators.  I'd like to make a nodewatcher
    git mirror available, so I can understand the development better.

4. Nodewatcher should be able to generate firmware images.  There is a
    command-line interface to this which could be tested and perfected
    separately from the web interface.

These are the things we can work on down there.

--Ryan